Philip Woodhouse -
- Agnew, C.T. and Woodhouse, P. Water Resources and Development. Perspectives on Development book series. Abingdon: Routledge, 2010. eScholarID:78631
- Woodhouse, P., H Bernstein, Hulme, D. African Enclosures?. Oxford: James Currey, 2000. eScholarID:4b46
- J Sumberg, J Thompson, P Woodhouse. "Contested Agronomy. ." In Contested Agronomy, ed. J Sumberg, J Thompson, 1-21. Abingdon: Routledge, 2012. eScholarID:171890
- P Woodhouse. "Water in African Agronomy." In Contested agronomy, ed. J Sumberg, J Thompson, 102-115. London: Earthscan, 2012. eScholarID:150051
- Woodhouse, P. "Natural Resource Management and Poverty in Sub-Saharan Africa." In Inside poverty and development in Africa. Critical reflections on pro-poor policies, ed. M Ruttan, A Leliveld, D Foeken, Leiden, Netherlands: Brill Academic Publishers, 2008. eScholarID:3b3207
- Woodhouse, P. "People as Informants." In Research Skills for Policy and Development, ed. A.Thomas, G.Mohan, n/a.Sage Publications Ltd, 2007. eScholarID:3b2778
- Woodhouse, P. "People as Informants." In Research Skills for Policy and Development, ed. Alan Thomas, Giles Mohan, Sage Publications Ltd, 2007. eScholarID:3b2781
- Woodhouse, P. "Africa: Ecopopulist Utopias and (Micro-)capitalist Realities." In Coming to Terms with Nature, ed. Leo Panith and Colin Leys, Merlin Press, 2006. eScholarID:3b2783
- Woodhouse, P., J Brown. "Pioneering Redistributive Regulatory Reform: a Study of Implementation of a Catchment Management Agency for the Inkomati Water Management Area, South Africa." In Regulatory Governance in Developing Countries, ed. Martin Minogue and Ledivinia Carino, Edward Elgar, 2005. eScholarID:3b392
- Woodhouse, P. "Development Policies and Environmental Agendas." In Development Theory and Practice: Critical Perspectives, ed. Kothari, U. Minogue, M, Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2002. eScholarID:3b317
- Woodhouse, P. "People as informants." In Finding Out Fast: Investigative Skills for Policy and Development, ed. Thorns, A. Chataway, J. Wuyts, M, London: Sage, 1998. eScholarID:3b4168
- Woodhouse, P. "Hydrology, soils and irrigation systems." In No More Tears ... Struggles for Land in Mpumalanga, South Africa, ed. Levin, R. Weiner, D, Trenton, NJ: Africa World Press, 1997. eScholarID:3b4167
- P Woodhouse. "Foreign Agricultural Land Acquisition and the visibility of water resource impacts in sub-Saharan Africa." Water Alternatives (http://www.water-alternatives.org/) 5, no. 2(2012) : 208-222. eScholarID:171887
- P Woodhouse. "New Investments, Old Challenges: Land Deals and the Water Constraint in African Agriculture." Journal of Peasant Studies 39, no. 3-4(2012) : 777-794. eScholarID:171885 | DOI:10.1080/03066150.2012.660481
- P Woodhouse. "New investment, old challenges. Land deals and the water constraint in African agriculture." Journal of Peasant Studies(2012) . eScholarID:150087 | DOI:10.1080/03066150.2012.660481
- P Woodhouse. "Reforming Land and Water Rights in South Africa." Development and Change 43, no. 4(2012) : 847-868. eScholarID:171886 | DOI:10.1111/j.1467-7660.2012.01784.x
- P Woodhouse. "‘Environmental Sustainability’, Agricultural Intensification and Water Resource Development in Sub-Saharan Africa ." Revista de Economia Mundial/ Journal of World Economics 27(2011) : 149-170. eScholarID:150082
- Philip Woodhouse. "Beyond Industrial Agriculture? Some questions about farm size, productivity and sustainability." Journal of Agrarian Change 10, no. 3(2010) . eScholarID:78545 | DOI:10.1111/j.1471-0366.2010.00278.x
- C. Agnew, P Woodhouse. "Climate Change Resilience and Adaptation: Perspectives from a Century of Water resources Development." Environment and Society: Advances in Research 1(2010) : 156-183. eScholarID:111357 | DOI:10.3167/ares.2010.010108
- Chimhowu, A., Woodhouse, P. "Forbidden but Not Suppressed: a 'Vernacular' Land Market in Svosve Communal Lands, Zimbabwe." Africa 80, no. 1(2010) : 14-35. eScholarID:78543 | DOI:10.3366/E0001972009001247
- Jean-Philippe Colin, Philip Woodhouse. "Introduction: Interpreting Land Markets in Africa." Africa 80(2010) : 1-13. eScholarID:78544 | DOI:10.3366/E0001972009001235
- Woodhouse, P. "Technology, environment and the productivity problem in African agriculture: comment on World Development Report 2008." Journal of Agrarian Change 9 (2)(2009) . eScholarID:1b5709
- Woodhouse, P., Chimhowu, A. "Communal Tenure and Rural Poverty: Land transactions in Svosve Communal Area, Zimbabwe." Development and Change 39 (2)(2008) : 285-308. eScholarID:1b5710 | DOI:10.1111/j.1467-7660.2008.00480.x
- Woodhouse, P., Lucio Fernandes. "Family Farm Sustainability in Southern Brazil: an application of agri-environmental indicators." Ecological Economics 66 (2)(2008) : 243-257. eScholarID:1b5711 | DOI:10.1016/j.ecolecon.2008.01.027
- Woodhouse, P. "Legitimising Markets or Legalising Custom? Land Commoditisation and Tenure Reform in Africa." Afriche e Orienti n/a(2007) : 8-31. eScholarID:1b5019
- Chimhowu, A., Woodhouse, P. "Customary vs Private Property Rights? Dynamics and Trajectories of Vernacular Land Markets in Sub-Saharan Africa." Journal of Agrarian Change 6(3)(2006) : 346-371. eScholarID:1b3960 | DOI:10.1111/j.1471-0366.2006.00125.x
- Woodhouse, P. "Consuetudine e proprietà nella governance delle risorse naturali in Africa: la mercificazione della terra." Afriche e Orienti 2(2005) : 10-24. eScholarID:1b6430
- Rigby, D., Woodhouse, P., G Bahiigwa. "Right Target, Wrong Mechanism? Agricultural Modernization and Poverty Reduction in Uganda." World Development 33(3)(2005) : 481-496. eScholarID:1b4630 | DOI:10.1016/j.worlddev.2004.09.008
- Chimhowu, A., Woodhouse, P. "Vernacular Land Markets and the Changing Face of Customary Land Tenure in Africa." Norwegian Forum for Development Studies 2(2005) . eScholarID:1b3312 | DOI:10.1080/08039410.2005.9666321
- Woodhouse, P. "African Enclosures: a Default Mode of Development." World Development 31(10)(2003) : 1705-1720. eScholarID:1b655 | DOI:10.1016/S0305-750X(03)00140-2
- Rigby, D., Woodhouse, P., Young, T., M Burton. "Constructing a Farm Level Indicator of Sustainable Agricultural Practice." Ecological Economics 39(3), December(2001) : 463-478. eScholarID:1b337 | DOI:10.1016/S0921-8009(01)00245-2
- Woodhouse, P., H Bernstein. "Telling Environmental Change Like It Is?" Journal of Agrarian Change 1(2)(2001) : 283-324. eScholarID:1b656
- Woodhouse, P. "Technological change among peasants in Central Argentina." Development in Practice 8, 1(1998) : 21-29. eScholarID:1b7563
- P Chenevix-trench, M Tessougue, Woodhouse, P. "After the flood: local initiative in using a new wetland resource in the Sourou Valley, Mali." Geographical Journal 163, 2(1997) : 170-179. eScholarID:1b7561
- Woodhouse, P. "Governance and local environment management in Africa." Review of African Political Economy 74(1997) : 537-547. eScholarID:1b7562
- Woodhouse, P. "Virtue or necessity? Pluralist agricultural technology development in Mozambique." Journal of International Development 9, 3(1997) : 331-346. eScholarID:1b7560
- P Woodhouse, A-S Ganho. 2011. Is Water the Hidden Agenda of Agricultural Land Acquisition in sub-Saharan Africa?. In international Conference on Global Land Grabbing06 April 2011 - 08 April 2011. University of Sussex, UK: Future Agricultures Consortium. eScholarID:150107
- Woodhouse, P. 2003. Local Identities of Poverty: Poverty Narratives in Decentralised Government and the Role of Poverty Research in Uganda. eScholarID:2b43
- Woodhouse, P. 2003. Renegotiating the Past: Implementing the National Water Act in South Africa. eScholarID:2b44
- Woodhouse, P. 2001. Constructing and Using Indicators to Assess Farming Sustainability. eScholarID:2b46
- Woodhouse, P., G Bahiigwa, Rigby, D., I Shinyekwa, D Howlett. 2001. Monitoring and Evaluation Indicators for the Plan for the Modernization of Agriculture. eScholarID:2b45
- Woodhouse, P. Natural Resource Management and Chronic Poverty in sub-Saharan Africa: an Overview Paper, CPRC Working Paper. Vol. 14. 2002.
- Woodhouse, P., G Bahiigwa, Rigby, D., I Shinyekwa, D Howlett. Sustainability Indicators for Farming-Based Livelihoods in Uganda, Sustainability Indicators for Natural Resource Management and Policy Working Paper. Vol. 8. 2002.
- Rigby, D., D Howlett, Woodhouse, P. A Framework for Research on Sustainability Indicators for Agriculture and Rural Livelihoods, Indicators for Natural Resource Management and Policy. Vol. IDPM, Working Paper No.2. 2000.
- Rigby, D., D Howlett, Woodhouse, P. Indicators of Agricultural and Rural Livelihood Sustainability, Indicators for Natural Resource Management and Policy. Vol. IDPM Working Paper No.1. 2000.
- Rigby, D., D Howlett, Woodhouse, P. Stakeholder Analysis and Local Identification of Indicators of Success and Sustainability of Fareming based livelihood Systems, Indicators for Natural Resource Management and Policy. Vol. IDPM Working Paper No.5. 2000.
- Woodhouse, P. Land, Water and Governance in Mali: Rice Production and Resource Use in the Sourou Valley, Bankass Cercle, Rural Resources, Rural Livelihoods Working Paper, IDPM, University of Manchester. Vol. 6. 1997.
Personal details | Research | Publications | Teaching | Further information
This website will look much better in a web browser that supports web standards, but it is accessible to any browser or Internet device.