Dr Stuart Shields - Further information
I am happy to supervise PhD students interested under the broad areas of: International Political Economy, Eastern Europe, EU enlargement, post-communist transition, globalisation, and global governance. If you'd like to discuss research proposals please get in touch.
Current PhD students:
- Jon Las Heras, The beauty and the 'PIIG': The contradictory complimentarity between the German and Spanish growth models.
- Fadil Erzozer, The limits to Europeanization: Economic liberalization in Cyprus.
- Beth Howieson, A feminsist historical materialist analysis of food security in Brazil.
- Jaqueline Gomez Mendez, The Argentinean political economy since 2001.
- Tomas Maltby, An investigation into the impact of the Visegrad Group members on EU energy policy since the 2004 enlargement.
Recently completed PhD students
- Simon Orth (2012) Promoting 'Normative Power Europe': a critical assessment of the European Union's externalisation of Justice and Home Affairs between Macedonia, Morocco & Ukraine.
- Bilge Azgin (2012) EU enlargement and democratisation in Turkey.
- George Kyris (2011) Europeanisation, EU Enlargement and the future of the Turkish-Cypriot community.
- Khaulath Didi Mohammed (2009) Globalization and democratization: The case of the Maldives.
- Denis Murphy (2008) Critical realism and Marxist state debate.
- Huw Macartney (2008) The Single Securities Market: A Transnational Financial Elite Project.
In recent years my teaching has focused on the following areas
- POLI20511 The Politics of Globalization
- POLI30721 International Political Economy
- POLI70311 Critical Approaches to International Political Economy