Dr Stuart Shields - Further information
I am on research leave until the start of February 2013.
I am happy to supervise PhD students interested in IPE, Eastern Europe, EU enlargement, globalisation, and any of the areas listed above in my research interests. If you'd like to discuss research proposals please email me.
Current PhD students:
- Beth Howieson, A critical political economy analysis of food security in Brazil
- Jaqueline Gomez Mendez, The Argentinean political economy since 2001.
- Tomas Maltby, An investigation into the impact of the Visegrad Group members on EU energy policy since the 2004 enlargement.
Recently completed PhD students
- Simon Orth (2012) Promoting 'Normative Power Europe': a critical assessment of the European Union's externalisation of Justice and Home Affairs between Macedonia, Morocco & Ukraine.
- Bilge Azgin (2012) EU enlargement and democratisation in Turkey.
- George Kyris (2011) Europeanisation, EU Enlargement and the future of the Turkish-Cypriot community.
- Khaulath Didi Mohammed (2009) Globalization and democratization: The case of the Maldives.
- Denis Murphy (2008) Critical realism and Marxist state debate.
- Huw Macartney (2008) The Single Securities Market: A Transnational Financial Elite Project.
In recent years my teaching has focused on the following areas
- POLI20511 The Politics of Globalization and Development
- POLI30721 International Political Economy
- POLI70311 Critical Approaches to International Political Economy
- POLI70762 Marxism & International Politics