Prof Mona Baker - Personal details
Role: Professor Of Translation Studies
Tel: 0161 275-8125
Location: Samuel Alexander Building-W307
School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
The University of Manchester
- BA English and Comparative Literature, American University in Cairo
- MA Special Applications of Linguistics, University of Birmingham
- DSc (Higher Doctorate), UMIST.
- Founded St. Jerome Publishing and the international journal The Translator in 1995.
- Vice President of the International Association of Translation and Intercultural Studies.
Visiting and Honorary Positions:
Member of the Advisory Board of InZone – Centre for Interpreting in Conflict Zones, University of Geneva (http://inzone.fti.unige.ch).
Guest Professor, School of Foreign Languages, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China, 2008-2010
Member of the Advisory Board of the Centre for Translation and Textual Studies, Dublin City University, Ireland
Wei Lun Distinguished Visiting Professor, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2006
Adjunct Professor, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2006-2010
Distinguished Visiting Professor, South China Agricultural University, 2007-2010
Member of the Evaluation Committee, Humanities Panel, for ICREA (Institució Catalana de Recerca i Estudis Avançats), 2010-2012
Academic Consultant, Qatar Foundation. Project: Translation & Interpreting Institute, Hamad bin Khalifa University, 2011-2012
Honoree of the 2011 Fifth Session of Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz International Award for Translation – for contributions to the field of translation
Member of Humanities Panel, University Grants Committee, RAE 2014, Hong Kong
Membership of Editorial and Advisory Boards
Ameriquests (USA), Ethical Space: The International Journal of Communication Ethics (UK), Maghreb Journal of Cultural Studies and Translation, Across Languages and Cultures (Hungary), ' Ayn (Journal of the Saudi Association of Languages and Translation); Translation Café - Review of Contemporary Texts in Translation (Romania); MONTI - Monographs in Translation and Interpreting (Spain); Translation Quarterly (Hong Kong); Hermeneus (Spain), Translation Studies (Iran), Journal of Translation and Interpretation (Slovak Association for the Study of English); Journal of Translation Studies (Hong Kong), Translation Watch Quarterly (Australia).
HRH Prince Hasan of Jordan attends a workshop led by Professor Mona Baker, with participation from the Arab World, Iran and Turkey
Visiting and Honorary Positions
- Guest Professor, School of Foreign Languages, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China, 2008-2010
- Member of the International Advisory Committee of the Translation Research and Instruction Program, Binghamton University, USA
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Centre for Translation and Textual Studies, Dublin City University, Ireland
- Wei Lun Distinguished Visiting Professor, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2006
- Adjunct Professor, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2006-2010
- Distinguished Visiting Professor, South China Agricultural University, 2007-2010